Friday, October 28, 2011

pulled pork.

Can we talk about beer for a second? I used to d.e.s.p.i.s.e. it. As in, couldn't even drink half a can. I would have my go-to Smirnoff or fruity mixed drink (hello amaretto sour) while everyone else had beer like normal people. I couldn't see how my opinion of beer could ever change, but I kept on trying it here and there just for kicks.

And you know what? I came around. I can finally see what everyone else sees in beer. I mean, so what if the beer I like is probably the least beer-tasting beer there is? It's still beer, ok? Jeez. Maybe eventually my taste buds will allow me to expand my beer-liking palate, but until then... I'm perfectly happy with my coors light.


Don't get me wrong, I still love me a fruity mixed drink (and would choose one over beer 95% of the time), but all I'm saying is that now I can drink a beer without wanting to spit it out. That's progress, right?

Now that I've gone off on a tangent and probably bored you all to death, let me get to the point of this rambling monologue. I got this recipe for pulled pork from D's mom, and it's a winner. The original recipe calls for water instead of beer, and it's beyond delicious. So if you don't have any beer laying around, definitely still make this pulled pork. Don't go out and buy a 6-pack just to make this... unless you have other plans for the rest of the beer! ;)


Pulled Pork with Beer
1 center cut pork roast (mine was a little under 2 lbs)
1/2 cup beer (or water)
garlic powder
onion powder
salt & pepper
Your favorite barbeque sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)

Season the outside of the pork roast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Place in crock pot. Pour beer (or water) into the crock pot. Place lid on the crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours and then on low for 6-7 hours.

Remove pork roast (and clean out the crock pot) and shred in a large bowl with two forks. Add as much BBQ sauce as you like (D likes it kind of dry, so I just add a little extra BBQ sauce to my sandwich!), mix until combined, and put back into the crock pot. Allow to cook for another 30-45 minutes. (Now is the perfect time to prep side dishes!) 

Photo Tutorial:
Fresh out of the crock pot!

Shredded...

Add the BBQ sauce...

Done! Now it just has to go back in the crock pot for 30-45 minutes to warm up and incorporate!

0 comments:

Post a Comment