Tuesday, October 25, 2011

apple crisp (version #1).

It's the perfect time of year for apple crisp. Didn't you know? Not only are the apples fresh, but while it's baking, it fills your house with the aroma of fall.


Plus, I went apple picking on Sunday, so we have a ton of apples to use up. (More apple recipes coming to a computer screen near you soon)

When I was in High School, my mom showed me how to make her recipe for apple crisp. The next time I made it, I did it alone. Apparently, I make a way better apple crisp than my mom (her words), so I got roped into making it all the time. Even my friends started requesting that I bring it to every team or class party/dinner/etc. So I thought I had this apple crisp thing down.

PS. I need an ice cream scoop.
Then I met D. He told me that his favorite dessert was apple crisp, so I thought I hit the jackpot. I made him my "famous" apple crisp, and he loved it. Since we were still kind of "new", I knew he wouldn't tell me that he secretly liked his mom's better, but I could tell. I had to try hers!

Luckily, for his birthday dinner at his parents, D requested apple crisp in lieu of cake (no surprise there), so I got to try his mom's recipe. It's super delicious! I love the topping. Isn't the topping the most important part of apple crisp? I vote yes.

So, in the end, I now have two awesome recipes for apple crisp. Two is better than one! Today I am sharing D's mom's recipe for apple crisp because.... well, because that is the one I made yesterday. Whenever I post my family's recipe, you guys can decide for yourself which you like better, k?

Apple Crisp 
Recipe from D's mom

4 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and slice apples. Pour into a square (8x8 or 9x9) baking dish. Sprinkle with the cinnamon. Pour the water over all.

In a separate bowl, combine butter and sugar using a pastry cutter. (You could use a food processor for this) Continue "cutting" the butter into the sugar with the pastry cutter until medium to small sized "crumbs" form. Like this:


Add the flour and mix. I just used the pastry cutter to combine the flour into the sugar and butter. Pour the topping over the apples and spread evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. This will let the topping get "crisp" instead of being mushy when you cut into it! But if you're impatient like me, warm apple crisp sure does melt a scoop of ice cream perfectly!



4 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of any crisp, especially apply crisp. This looks AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try your recipe!

    Liz @ Southern Charm
    http://www.southerncharmnola.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LizMarie

    Thanks! I will be posting the other version of apple crisp that I have soon too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara...this is so nice, I am now your new fan.
    Erecipe

    ReplyDelete