Thursday, October 20, 2011

homemade applesauce.

You know what everyone FREAKS OUT over when it's fall?

Canned pumpkin.

I mean, I don't even really get it. The whole pumpkin thing. I don't like pumpkin pie, and so I guess I've let my view of all things made with canned pumpkin be tainted. I did try some pumpkin cake bars at Thanksgiving one year that my sister made, and they were pretty good. Fine, they were delicious. Happy? I guess maybe I should try making at least one thing this fall with some dang canned pumpkin.

But until then, I'll be enjoying the forgotten, ugly step sister of fall:


APPLES.

I don't see nearly enough posts on the blogs I read devoted to apples or apple recipes. What gives, people?! Just think of all the delicious goodies you can make: apple pie, apple crisp, caramel apples, AND the star of today's show.... appleSAUCE.


I'd never made homemade applesauce until a few weeks ago. You see, when I was little, I remember watching my grandma make applesauce... except she used this crazy metal contraption that looked like it was 100 years old to mash the apples. Not kidding. So I was under the impression that one needed a crazy 100 year old contraption in order to make applesauce. Friends, that is not the case.


The only equipment you need is a knife, a pot, and a fork. I suppose if you had an immersion blender, that would make the applesauce even smoother, but unfortunately I do not. But it's really not necessary! And guys and gals, this applesauce tastes better than store bought. I swear! And it's super easy.

Homemade Applesauce
Recipe from Allrecipes.com

4 medium sized apples (or 5 smaller ones)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Peel, core, and chop the apples. In a saucepan, combine the apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Cover and cook (over medium heat) for about 15-20 minutes or until apples are soft. Allow to cool and then mash the apples with either a fork or a potato masher. I left mine a little chunky. (This is where I could see the immersion blender coming in handy, but so not necessary!)


PS: We're going apple picking again this Sunday. Look out for at least one apple-related recipe next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment