Sunday, October 23, 2011

in the orchard.

Hey guys! I know it is getting toward the end of apple season (at least for picking), but today I finally got to go apple picking with my sister, her mom, and my niece! (We went last year too. It's becoming somewhat of a tradition) D was supposed to come today, but he came down with a cold yesterday and he's (still) stuck on the couch. Boo. Maddie (my niece) brought one of her friends, too. Although it was pretty cold, we still managed to have a fun time!


At this point in the season, the only thing left on the trees to pick was Melrose, Ida Red, Crispin, and one other that I can't remember the name of. In the general store at the apple orchard, they did have the last of the freshly picked apples from the trees (like Macs, Cortlands, Honey Crisp, etc). 


I had my heart set on getting some Honey Crisp, but a small bag of them was $8! (Compared to Macs at $4.50) Holy cow! And the worst part? They said that for U-pick, Honey Crisp were the same price as all the rest. Dangit. I'll have to go next year when they are still on the trees!

The Crispin were HUGE! 


Just for a size comparison, the red apple is a normal/slightly bigger than normal sized apple. The Green one is the crispin:


Anyways, my sister's mom's car got stuck in the mud in between a couple of the rows of trees, so we had to go hang out at the general store while they got a tractor to pull her out. Fairly comical.


While we were at the store, I managed to snag a couple of pictures of the goodies they had there. Oh! And there was this adorable puppy...


The squash that is sitting on top of the GIANT one is a normal size. I put it there for size comparison. HOLY GIANT SQUASH:


They also have freshly baked cookies, gourmet mustard, real maple syrup, cheese curd, and homemade, fresh, hot donuts. While everyone else snagged a cookie, I just couldn't pass up the donuts. I don't even really like donuts. I know, color me weird. But they were calling to me. Guys, let me just say: best donut ever. It was an apple cider donut with cinnamon sugar, and it was warm and light and airy and crispy and perfect. And guess what? It was BAKED. Invest in a donut pan, I must.



I ended up leaving with two more donuts to go (for my parents and D, of course!), a half gallon of apple cider made at the orchard, and a big bag of Mac's. They're D's fav, and I'll just have to suck it up and buy some Honey Crisp from the store before they're out of season. 

Overall, a great Sunday! (Even though my Titans lost!) Adios!

0 comments:

Post a Comment