Thursday, October 27, 2011

chicken pot pie.

You know those individual sized chicken pot pies that you can buy at the store and heat up in your microwave? Well.... this is better. Promise. And guys, I don't take promises lightly.


This is D's favorite meal. Hands down. He eats half of the pie every time I make it and swears that he could eat the whole thing if I let him. I say his eyes are bigger than his stomach.

I also made this pie one time for a couple of my friends, and the next time they came over for dinner they requested I make it again. They didn't want any of my other recipes that I swore up and down were delicious. All they wanted was chicken pot pie.

I guess I can't blame them. This recipe is from my mom, and I remember eating it 1-2 times a month for my entire childhood. This is the dish my brother always picked for his birthday dinner. It's birthday dinner material.

** I actually only used 2 of the chicken breasts for this. The other 2 were for Chicken Tacos the next night!

Speaking of birthday dinners, a certain someone's birthday is coming up in a few weeks.. and I wouldn't be surprised if he requested this. But of course D will also request a birthday dinner at his parents house so that he can have his other favorite dinner, Chicken Parmesan. He's a birthday double dipper. But who isn't? It's not a birthday, it's a birthweek. Didn't you know?

Just make this. Tonight. And D wouldn't object to getting leftovers in the mail.



Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups cooked and diced boneless, skinless chicken breast (about a pound or 2 breasts)
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 can veg-all (or mixed vegetables) drained
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 pie crusts (1 package)
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into prepared pie crust (no need to grease the pie plate). Cover with top crust. Press down onto first crust with fingers to seal, cut off extra crust with a knife, then seal edges of crust with a fork. Brush pie with beaten egg. Slit top of crust 2-3 times with a knife. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool for 10-20 minutes before cutting. 

Photo Tutorial:

Only thing missing is the chicken...
Cutting up the chicken...
2 cups!
The chicken was added to the other 5 ingredients in the bowl (1st picture) and then mixed! Now time to pour..

Into the pie crust! And spread out evenly.

Then add the top crust, press down on the edges to seal, then cut off the crust.

Then, using a fork, press down on the edge, and slide out toward you while keeping pressure on the fork. If you pull up instead of sliding out, it will separate the two pie crusts.

Dip the brush into the beaten egg, and paint your pie!

Add some slits to let the steam out and then throw it in the oven to cook...

Finally! After 40 minutes in the oven! Now begin the agonizing 10-20 minutes (10 if you're impatient!) of waiting...

Voila! Time to dig in!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like great winter-weather comfort food. I have a GREAT recipe for chicken parm if you'd ever like to have it :)

    ReplyDelete