Thursday, September 13, 2012

tomatoes with artichokes.

Is there anything better than fresh, homegrown tomatoes during summer?



Sure, you could make an argument for peaches. I would gladly eat a peach a day for all of peach season if I could. But tomatoes still have my heart.

I don't understand people who don't like tomatoes. Dillon is one of those people and it is so heart breaking! I constantly nag him to "just try one!" and say "they're so delicious!", but he's stubborn when it comes to things he thinks he doesn't like. (He's probably rolling his eyes reading this.)

My parents had some AMAZING tomato plants this year. Every weekend they would send me home with enough tomatoes to get me through the week! You know what they say: A tomato a day keeps the.... no wait, forget that.

I SWEAR that the only reason people who don't like tomatoes feel that way is because they have only tried them out of season. Winter tomatoes (in NY) are totally flavorless and have gross texture. So if you are one of those people, seriously- just try a fresh one ONCE with a little salt and THEN we can chat. Deal?

Anyways... getting off my soap box...



One of my favorite things to do with fresh tomatoes is to peel them, slice them, and put them on top of some buttered toast with salt. My family calls it "tomato toast" and I have eaten it my entire life.

I also love to eat mulligan. [Notice I was careful to say eat in that sentence.. not make. Sure, I will make it if I have to... but it's time consuming and my mom is the expert! I'll leave it to the expert. (Read: I'm lazy and like when my mom cooks for me)]



And that brings us to tomatoes with artichokes. Tomatoes are fabulous on their own, but when you combine them with a jar of marinated artichoke hearts? Unbelievable flavor. You have to try this. Only two ingredients!



Tomatoes with Artichokes

6-8 medium sized tomatoes
2 jars marinated artichoke hearts

Pour the juice from both jars of artichokes into a medium-sized mixing-bowl (or serving bowl). Dice the artichokes up into small pieces (maybe about ring fingernail sized) and add to the bowl.

Peel and core all of the tomatoes. Dice into small pieces. Scrape into the bowl with the artichokes, making sure that you get all the juice from the tomatoes into the bowl as well.

Stir well to combine. Serve! (If you'd prefer, you could refrigerate it before serving, but I find it to be better at room temperature)

Can be stored in the fridge and then taken out about an hour before serving.  Enjoy :)



I'm off for a fun-filled weekend of s'mores, watching the sun set, drinking coffee by the fire, and pretending that fall isn't right around the corner [Which I'm secretly ecstatic about. Bring on the pumpkin carving, apple picking, tea drinking, sweater wearing, and leave crunching.]

Jeter's ready for fall! He's not a fan of hot weather, so he is loving the extra walks we are taking lately. Just thought I'd share a picture from our walk the other day. Happy almost Friday, friends! :)


1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this. Looks really good. Plus, I'm sure I have had mulligan at your house before. :)

    ReplyDelete