Wednesday, September 5, 2012

adventures in boston [the food].

In the beginning of July, I was fortunate enough to spend two weeks in Boston for training for my new job. During the week, since we had to be up early for training, the people I went with and I mostly stayed close to the hotel for dinner. Our hotel was about 20 minutes outside of Boston, but there were so many restaurants within walking distance! There was also a HUGE, amazing mall right across the street from the hotel.

I have decided to split this into two posts: [the food] and [the sights]. This post is all about the food!

The first night, we decided to try a restaurant called the British Beer Company (or BBC) because all of our co-workers back at the office had given it rave reviews. I went with steak + fries. Yum!


There was a Cheesecake Factory in the mall across from our hotel. The first trip there, I went with a sweet and spicy chicken and pasta dish....


and of course cheesecake! This one had peanut butter cups, caramel, peanut butter, and I believe butterfingers on top of a chocolate crumb crust. Isn't everything better on a chocolate crumb crust? I think so.


 On the first Friday that we were there, we finally ventured into downtown Boston. We ate right at Quincy Market, and I started out with something new to me: fried pickles. I love pickles, but had somehow never tried these yet! They didn't disappoint.


Dillon visited me over the weekend that I was there, and we went into Boston both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday for lunch, we ate at Legal Seafoods. Dillon loves seafood, so it was just what he was waiting for. I ordered a wedge salad, delicious!


Dillon went with the fresh grilled scallops. I tried a few, they were super fresh and really tasty!


For dinner Saturday night, I took Dillon back to the BBC since I had liked it so much earlier in the week. He went with the lobster mac & cheese. He said it was amazing!


Later that night, we went across the street from my hotel to the Ben & Jerry's shop. I got the "Cluster Fluff" (which apparently in-stores is called "What a Cluster") in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone. Wish I had one of these right now!


On Sunday, we went into Cambridge and went to Flour bakery + cafe. I remembered seeing the owner on Throwdown with Bobby Flay for her sticky buns, so I was excited to try it out. Unfortunately, the next batch of sticky buns wasn't due out of the oven for 45 minutes, so we just opted to get other things.

Dillon got an oatmeal raisin cookie and a homemade Oreo. I got a Chunky Lola... basically a chocolate chunk cookie with coconut and nuts! Yum.


I also got a breakfast sandwich. Canadian bacon, egg, tomato, greens, and homemade dijonnaise on a delicious homemade roll! This sandwich was definitely the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had. If I'm ever in Boston again, I will for sure be going back to Flour for another breakfast sandwich and hopefully some sticky buns!

 

Since I ate such a late breakfast, I wasn't really hungry for lunch. I grabbed a fresh squeezed orange juice from a stand at the mall across from the hotel.


After the mall, we went to Trader Joe's! I was so excited to finally get to go to Trader Joe's. We don't have any within driving distance of where I live, so I never get to try any of the things that I see all over instagram and other blogs!

Trader Joe's Smashing S'mores!
 Sunday night, we went to Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I got a BLT salad. It was pretty good, but it didn't compare to the wedge salad I had in Boston on Saturday!
 

 I have a serious lack of pictures from the next five days... actually, I only have one. The day before the last day of training, the trainers took our whole class out for lunch. A few people at my table got the brownie dessert, and by the way it was described, we thought it would be a homemade brownie on a plate with a scoop of ice cream on it. We were... wrong. You should have seen our eyes when this arrived:


This picture does no justice to how big this thing was. Each brownie was like 2 times bigger than your average brownie and the dish itself was was almost as big as my head! After eating a big Italian meal for LUNCH, I was only able to eat maybe a 1/4 of this.

Well, there ya have it! Those are all the food pictures I have from my Boston trip. Dillon and I both loved Boston and would love to go back if we ever get the chance!

0 comments:

Post a Comment