Sunday, August 7, 2011

mulligan.

My mom and I made Mulligan today. It's a family recipe, and most people think I'm talking about golf when I say "mulligan". It's actually kind of like a cold tomato soup. That's the best way I can think to describe it, but that doesn't do it justice at all. It's delicious.


That's my mom! With a green pepper.


You need about 3/4's of one green pepper. And you have to dice everything reaaaallllyy tiny. And I mean itsy bitsy.


See? Like this. And add it to the bowl.


And you need about two medium sized cucumbers, cut up the same way.


And about a quarter of a red onion. If I were making this myself, I would just use a slap chop to cut up everything except the tomatoes. It's way faster, but my mom INSISTS that it tastes better if you use a knife. Mom knows best, I guess.


Keep adding the stuff to the bowl.


So far we have cucumber, pepper, and onion.


You need A LOT of tomatoes. I'd say around 5 pounds. My mom basically just adds tomatoes until it "looks" right.


You have to peel the tomatoes before you dice them. And you need to scrape ALL of the juice on the cutting board from cutting the tomato into the bowl. It's important.



See? Lots and LOTS of tomatoes. And tomato juice. 


You add a little olive oil and kosher salt, too. My mom says the salt helps bring out the juices in the tomatoes. "Normal" people would only add a little salt. Because I love my family and understand that they aren't OBSESSED with salt like I am, I didn't add how much salt I would like.

Don't worry though, I added plenty of salt to my bowl though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment