Monday, September 5, 2011

how to blanch a peach.

Have you ever blanched anything before? I hadn't until yesterday. I had 4 super ripe peaches that I was going to bake with. I stood there staring at them. I was debating with myself over whether I wanted to risk the frustration of trying to peel a very ripe, very juicy peach or just learn how to blanch a dang peach already. 


After a little google-ing (googling? neither of those look right.), I was ready. 

First, fill a medium-sized pot about 3/4 full with water. Put it on the stove to bring it to a boil. 


While the water is warming up, fill a medium sized mixing bowl with cold water. Place it near the pot on the stove to make transfers easier. Put about 14 ice cubes in the bowl of water. (Or in my case, open the freezer to look for ice cubes, realize you only have like 10, swear to yourself, dump all of them in the water, and make a mental note to buy another ice cube tray.)


Once the water is up to a boil, turn the heat down a little so the boiling doesn't get out of control. You want it to be boiling, but not spilling-over-the-sides boiling. 

Using a slotted spoon, place one peach into the boiling water. I found that 35 seconds in the boiling water did the trick for me.

After 35 seconds, quickly transfer the peach (using the slotted spoon) to the ice water bath. Roll it around in the ice water for 10-15 seconds, and then remove and immediately peel. 

 

I just used my nails to pick a little piece of skin off near the top and then used that opening to pull large chunks of skin off.

Once you get the peach all peeled, repeat the process with the next peach. Do this until all the peaches are peeled. You can keep the water boiling while you peel the peach.
When you're done, you're left with this:


And these!


Now you can cut them all up and use every last bit of their deliciousness in a recipe... or you can just inhale them, which is what I wanted to do. These peaches were so ripe that they melted in my mouth. Mmmmm.


0 comments:

Post a Comment