Sunday, September 4, 2011

hot cocoa cookies.

Remember I said that this blog would be about my trials and tribulations in the kitchen and also my biking adventures? (Of course not limited to those things, but you get the point). Well folks, I have a tribulation to share with you.

I made these cookies because on Jessica's blog (how sweet it is - check it out!) they looked so delicious! Her pictures are always amazing. These cookies just looked delicious- and I had everything I needed to make them except mini-marshmallows, so it seemed like a no brainer. 


They're called hot cocoa cookies. Here's the recipe. <---- Don't those pictures look TO DIE FOR? Well, I did everything as the recipe stated. I left the butter out to get to room temperature, I refrigerated the dough once made, etc. 

I rolled them into balls and put them onto the cookie sheet as the recipe stated. On the first batch, I sprayed the sheet with cooking spray just because she mentioned that they are VERY sticky (because of the marshmallows and marshmallow fluff).


I put them in the oven, and when they came out...well lets just say I had to cut them into shapes that slightly resembled cookies. I wish I had taken a picture of that first batch before I cut them. They were all smooshed together! Is there anything worse than peeking into the oven and seeing all your hard work melted together in one big blob? I didn't think so.

So on the next batch, I put the cookies farther apart and didn't spray the sheet. I thought maybe the spray was slippery and allowing the cookies to slide and spread out more easily? Well, this batch came out better... they were round and cookie shaped and didn't smoosh together, but they still got really flat.


See? flat cookies.

These cookies did come off the baking sheet better, because I put them in the fridge for like 20 minutes and let them COMPLETELY cool. 

After being disappointed by how they looked, I tried one. They are so gooey and chocolatey and marshmallow-y and delicious! They are so good that I would risk disappointment again just to make them. As you take a bite, you try to pull the cookie away from your mouth but sometimes you get a string of marshmallow goodness. They are slightly difficult to hold without them falling apart, but who cares!? They taste like a cup of hot cocoa in a cookie!

look at that marshmallow fluff goodness

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that this cookie was kind of a tribulation. They aren't pretty, but they taste pretty darn good! :) Maybe I will add a little more flour if I make them again?

Guess what I'm making later today? I'll give you a hint: There are four delicious, perfectly ripe peaches from the farmers market sitting in my kitchen begging to be made into something yummy! Stay tuned, and have a great Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment