Wednesday, November 2, 2011

chocolate-stuffed toffee chip cookies.

I "liked" the How Sweet It Is page on Facebook when I found Jessica's blog a few months ago. Every weekday morning when I wake up, there is always a link to her new blog post with a picture that makes my mouth water. (Seriously, even dinner foods look good at 8am when she's behind the camera)



So... I get a lot of inspiration from her. Not sure what I want to bake today? Oh, hey, Jessica just posted a to-die-for cookie. That'll do. 

So these cookies... Jessica claims they are the best cookie that she has ever created. Coming from someone who has made so so so so many delicious cookies (don't believe me? Click that link and see her "cookie" recipe page) that always get rave reviews, I knew these had to be fantastic.


Luckily for me, I already had all of the ingredients in the pantry (leftover Toffee chips from toffee chocolate chip snickerdoodles and a bag of chocolate chunks I picked up one day because they were on sale)!



I was originally planning on making double fudge oreo cookies today with Halloween Oreos, but uh... I'm out of cocoa powder. So I had to nix that plan and go with these. I'm so glad I did, because they are absolutely delicious. And fun to make!

I do have to say they are my favorite cookie I have tried from Jessica's blog, and I have tried quite a few (all being scrumptious, of course). The toffee chips give it the perfect chewy crunch and the chocolate chunks in the middle are all melty and dreamy. The brown butter that goes into the batter doesn't suck either.

Please, I beg you... just make them. Please? I promise you won't be dissapointed. Oh, and if you don't happen to have chocolate chunks.. just chop up a chocolate bar! (I'm sure you have one leftover from Halloween, don't you?)


Chocolate-stuffed Toffee Chip Cookies
Recipe from How Sweet It Is

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt 
1 cup toffee chips
chocolate chunks, baking squares, or chocolate bars cut into pieces (I put 3 chunks into each cookie)
Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisk until butter melts, then continue to stir and whisk just until tiny brown bits appear at the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately as the butter can burn very quickly. Set aside and let cool for about 10-15 minutes, until the butter comes to room temperature.

Once butter has cooled, add to a large bowl. Whisk together with sugars until smooth, then add in the egg and egg yolk. Mix again until combined, then add in vanilla extract and mix. Add in flour, baking and soda and salt, and mix with a spoon until a dough forms. The dough may be crumbly but continue to mix – even using your hands if needed – until it comes together. Fold in toffee chips.

Roll about 1 tablespoons of dough into a ball, then press some chocolate (your choice) into the middle. Top with an additional 1 tablespoons of dough, and seal the sides, rolling the dough into ball. Place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then gently remove with a spatula to a cooling rack.


You deserve these cookies. And a big glass of milk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment